Sanctum is the capital city of Elysea, a metropolis which hovers at the center of the nation.
While the Elyos make up the majority of Sanctum's population, it is also home to a number of other folk employed by the Elysean government and military; such as the Shugo, who occupy a large part of the financial districts. Sanctum is looked upon with envy and admiration by the humans and other non-Daevas who cannot claim to be a part of its thriving population.
History[edit | edit source]
In the beginning, Sanctum was a city called Siela, named after Lady Siel, from which the benevolent Lady Ariel ruled. It was only as the war against the Balaur and the Asmodians deepened that it developed into the city that it is today, a social and vibrant hub and not just a military outpost.
After the great catastrophe that split the world apart, the lands of Elysea were left in ruins. Frequent attacks from the bestial races meant that the rebuilding process was under constant threat. This forced the five Seraphim, including their leader, Ariel herself, to gather their magic and use it to lift Sanctum into the air and out of enemy reach.
As commerce within the city grew active, Sanctum became the core for economic, military and administrative activities – but there was a problem. With the city floating in the air and space thus being limited the population was quickly bursting at the seams, and transportation in and out of Sanctum became overcrowded and difficult. This lead to the formation of suburbs forming on the ground beneath the floamwting metropolis, which eventually developed into a new province.
These days Sanctum is a prosperous complex - equally important as a social center for the Elyos now, as it was to them in its earliest form as a military base.
Echoes of Eternity[edit | edit source]
During the 5.3 update Sanctum was attacked by Ereshkigal's forces. The 3rd Dragon Lord had realized that the weakening of the aetheric field surrounding Iluma and Norsvold had also left the aetheric field protecting Elysea and Asmodae vulnerable, as they were one and the same. Some of her underlings infiltrate Sanctum and Pandaemonium, and manage to further destabilize to the field. Before long two of Ereshkigal's Dredgion fleets launch a surprise attack on both capitals, causing both factions to immediately recall all of their forces from the Upper Abyss.
In the Dredgion Defense instance the players fought and ultimately triumphed over the Balaur troops, but the price was heavy. Sanctum was burning, and many Daevas were reported missing in the aftermath of the attack. Nevertheless, the Elyos manage to prevent their capital from becoming a second Kamar; and while a separate team led by a renowned Daeva returns to the Upper Abyss to find the missing Daevas, the Elyos begin reconstruction efforts on their capital city.
Areas[edit | edit source]
- Airship Dock - Transportation area
- Artisans Hall - Crafting area
- Protectors Hall - Stigma and Abyss gear merchants
- Library of the Sages - Knowledge center
- Outer Dock - Portal to Inggison and Steel Rake entrances
- Dionysia Tavern - Hangout area for sailors
- Lyceum - Welcoming for recently ascended Daevas
- Coliseum - PvP area
- Hall of Prosperity - Brokers and warehouse managers gather here
- Sky Canal - A center for art and plants
- Nobelium - The largest structure in all of Elysea
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Main article: List:Sanctum quests
Notable Characters and NPCs[edit | edit source]
Travel Connections[edit | edit source]
Teleport[edit | edit source]
- Akarios Village, Poeta
- Oriel Plaza, Oriel
Verteron Citadel , Verteron Eltnen Fortress , Eltnen Meniherk Excavation Camp , Theobomos
Teleport Statue[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- After the 6.0 update many areas of Sanctum that were deemed irrelevant or non-essential have been closed off (in particular the whole upper district and the Outer Dock), and are thus currently inaccessible. This was arguably done to indicate that these areas are still under re-construction.
- Prior to the 3.0 update players were able to jump off behind the Teleport Pad at Sanctum Gate and glide down. On the ground they would find a number of vacant buildings and other assets. This would later develop into Oriel.