Reshanta, also referred to as The Abyss, was Aion's trademark PvPvE region for much of the game's history. It was a full free-flight zone composed of three layers: Lower, Upper, and the Core, with each layer containing its own instances, fortresses, and other challenges.
- 1 History
- 2 Background
- 3 Instances
- 4 Gaining Access
- 5 Mechanics
- 6 Areas
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
History[edit | edit source]
Originally an area for level 25+ players, the area underwent numerous changes over the years. The 4.9 update scaled down the size of the area, putting all islands closer to each other for faster travel. A new archipelago was also added to the Lower Layer. Other additions were 15 bases to the Upper Layer, which could be captured for quests that offered , or other benefits, updated monster models for the Upper Abyss Barracks instances, and an adjusted overworld terrain overall. Most notable, the Core and thus the Abyssal Splinter instances were now inaccessible.
Another major overhaul was during the 5.3 update, which restricted access to the Abyss to players of level 45 and above. Activity was concentrated on the Upper Layer due to the fortresses and newly added bases on the map. The levels of the Abyss were also adjusted, with the Lower Layer being aimed at players between level 45 and 55, and the Upper Layer now exclusively designed for players of level 68 to 75. The Upper Abyss Barracks instances were also removed during this update.
In the 5.8 update the Core re-opened as a specialized siege-only island with activities related to fortress ownership for players up to level 75, such as the newly added Mirash Sanctum and Frozen Monolith instances which were set in the Divine Fortress. But despite the numerous overhauls in recent years, the Abyss was never able to truly regain its former status, and in the 6.0 update the Lower and Upper Layers were removed permanently. The Core remains, and is accessible once a week via a portal during Siege hours, much like Panesterra.
Background[edit | edit source]
Origin[edit | edit source]
During the Cataclysm, the Tower of Eternity was shattered. When this occurred Atreia was sundered into two halves, leaving a base for the tower on each half of the world. Between the tower’s bases a great disharmonious resonance began to flow. This is where Reshanta lies.
After centuries passed, Elyos and Asmodians began to discover entry points into the realm of The Abyss from their homelands. Many of the expeditions sent to explore these gates never returned. Finally, gates to permanent portions of The Abyss were found and claimed. These are now known as an Abyss Gates.
In the lower portion of Reshanta, both the Elyos and Asmodians have set up large fortresses in which to stage their conquering of The Abyss. To the north east the Asmodians have settled Primum Landing, the first fortress ever built in the region to house their Archons. In the south west, the Elyos forces have built Teminon Landing, which followed after its Asmodian counterpart to house their troops.
It was not until several years afterwards that Atreians had set up Obelisks in this voided world, which unfortunately led to numerous Daeva casualties, unable to resurrect. That however, was not their only problem. At first, without their protective fortress, they all faced constant raids on their building sites, not only from the opposite faction, but the Balaur too, their ancient rivals which they have not encountered ever since the Cataclysm. While the protective shields were eventually raised, this region still presents a bigger threat than the inner Atreia. Due to its infinite and dark landscape, Daevas who die within them may disappear and get lost easily, and with very fierce foes stationed around.
Post-Cataclysm[edit | edit source]
Painful memories of the Millenium War materialized throughout Atreia in the form of scar-like spatial rifts. These rifts, collectively named The Abyss, constitute the central area of the planet, a stark reminder of the increasing vulnerability of the Tower of Eternity.
The Abyss, unlike the ethereal surrounding areas, is a realm torn between chaos and disorder, akin to a nightmare. It exists in the core of the Aion universe, and so appears and behaves very differently from anywhere else you might discover in Atreia. The anarchic and imposing nature of The Abyss lends itself to combat, a place where battles are fought and wars won.
Throughout The Abyss the Elyos, Asmodians and Balaur can be found locked in bitter battles. It is a hazardous and unpredictable area, with new challenges and opportunities for victory lurking in every shadow. Whilst it holds many dangers, players that choose to brave the Abyss will be rewarded as the area is rife with valuable resources, legendary bosses to defeat and enemy encampments to raid and pillage. Highly desirable items and rare resources can be found deep in Reshanta, the draw of which may be too strong for even the most experienced of adventurers.
Abyssal Winds (4.9)[edit | edit source]
As the Daevas advanced further into Balaurea, Reshanta was left as a secondary priority. After the destruction of the Upheaval all focus was channeled to Beritra and his dark plan, as well as the exploration of the newly risen lands of Cygnea and Enshar.
After Ereshkigal's seal was weakened following the showdown against Beritra in the Drakenspire Depths, the released energy greatly affected Reshanta. The once radiant and flaming Core of the planet suddenly shifted its temperature from a scorching heat to a burning-cold frost. The wildlife inhabiting the Upper Layer, used to high temperatures, had to either face mass extinction or evolve and adapt to this environmental change. The volcanic area turned into an ice coated field. The quakes caused by the shift caused a new archipelago to form from the ancient ruins which fell off into the Lower Layer, and the Core formed a layer of ice blocking the way into its inside.
Environment was not the only one affected. Merchants and Daevas stationed in the affected areas rapidly fled. However, a greater menace started to build up in Reshanta as Ereshkigal's underlings suddenly made themselves present. With outstanding and swift strategic attack, they took over the fortresses in the Upper Layer and disabled Asteria and Roah Fortresses. Additionally, their strengthened spirit was enough to push out the Beritra's soldiers. These new enemies are an alert of a possible future disaster; the return of the Queen of Ice Ereshkigal.
For the first time since the Abyss Wars, the Elyos and Asmodians set up an additional outpost in the Abyss. They constructed a new landings in Reshanta, this time in the Upper Layer. The battlefield that is The Abyss has recovered its former interest. The war had shifted once again.
Awakened Legacy (6.2)[edit | edit source]
At the start of 6.0 Ereshkigal destabilizes the Lower and Upper Layer, sending the floating islands crashing into Elysea and Asmodae in a bid to access the Tower of Eternity and destroy the Elyos and Asmodians once and for all. Only the Core survives the event, and remains accessible as a siege-only area during select moments every week. With the destruction of much of the Abyss, the curtain has at last fallen on the area that has defined much of Atreia's history but became increasingly obsolete after Aion 3.x.
Instances[edit | edit source]
Instances in the Abyss offer a good chance for players of the appropriate level to earn AP Relics and a variety of goods. Access to these instances is either restricted to whoever owns the fortress their entrance is on or the day of the week.
Solo Instances[edit | edit source]
- Mirash Sanctum [66+]
Group Instances[edit | edit source]
- Sulfur Tree Nest [45+]
- Right Wing Chamber [45+]
- Left Wing Chamber [45+]
- Hamate Isle Storeroom (Chamber of Roah) [45+]
- Carpus Isle Storeroom (Asteria Chamber) [45+]
- Isle of Roots Storeroom (Krotan Chamber) [45+]
- Grave of Steel Storeroom (Kysis Chamber) [45+]
- Twilight Battlefield Storeroom (Miren Chamber) [45+]
- Frozen Monolith [66+]
Alliance Instances[edit | edit source]
- Bastion of Souls [66+]
Gaining Access[edit | edit source]
To enter The Abyss, players must complete tasks to prove themselves worthy. As of 5.3, these quests are presented at level 45 (originally level 25) automatically as campaigns and, upon completion, will allow the player to enter Reshanta. Even if the player has reached the level cap, the entry quest chain must be completed in order to access the area.
There are quest lines for both Elyos and Asmodian:
Deliver On Your Promise [?]
The Last Test [?]
When completed, the player is allowed access through a variety of means:
- Interacting with an Abyss Gate (Verteron/Eltnen/Heiron if Elyos, Altgard/Morheim/Beluslan if Asmodian)
- Using the Upper Landing Corridor in Iluma/Norsvold (both factions; near the flight teleporter)
- Interacting with specific Abyss Teleporter NPCs (Cygnea/Enshar)
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
Combat within The Abyss is PvPvE: it follows the rules that combat follows anywhere else within Atreia, but more often than not, the player will find themselves immersed in air-to-air combat with other Daevas. This extra dimension changes the way combat works, with some abilities becoming useless, and fighting routines needing to be altered. Despite this, additional flight skills come into play, giving you advantages depending on your choice of class.
Many quests found in The Abyss take you into enemy territory to encourage PvP. Those relatively new to The Abyss should travel in groups and always carry health and mana potions as well as wind serums.
Abyss Points[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Abyss Points
Within The Abyss, a defeat of the opposite faction or a Balaur NPC rewards the player with Abyss Points, rather than XP: Abyss points are used to determined the player's rank, and with accumulation of points, higher ranks are gained. Each rank gives the ability to use new unique skills, but these are only available to the highest ranks, of which are limited to the number of wearers per Faction. Every PvP kill increases AP while every death incurs a loss of AP based on Abyss rank.
Outposts[edit | edit source]
With 4.9, the Upper Layer will feature 15 outposts which can be taken by either Elyos, Asmodians or Balaur. They will offer the usual services, such as General Goods Merchants, Kisks Merchants, Gear turn-in ( ), Warehouse Managers, Supplements Merchants and Aether Merchants. Furthermore, each base will offer two weekly quests, asking to slay the other faction's guards, awarding a bundle which may contain , or miscellaneous items. These, however, are unlocked at level 68 and level 70.
Sieges and Raids[edit | edit source]
Reshanta offers a total of six capturable fortresses. The three fortresses in the Lower Layer are aimed to players of around level 55 or above, with guards which are adjusted as such, offering to those who participate. Meanwhile, the fortresses in the Upper Layer are meant for players of level 66 and above, rewarding and GP for the successful siegers.
Additionally, the zone will offer a large variety of world bosses for players to join forces and take them down. Much like Wealhtheow's Keep in Kaldor, upon successfully capturing a fortress twice, the fortress' Spirit will spawn after 30 minutes. Others will spawn at certain times of the day with a randomised location. They include and , offering a variety of goods, such as Chargable Stigmas, , and manastones.
Landing Reinforcement System[edit | edit source]
One of the main features introduced with 4.9, with the surging of the faction landings in Upper Reshanta, this system was put to incentive activity in the zone. The faction must perform a series of tasks, varying in types, to gain BP (points which determine a landing's level).
Tasks may include occupying the fortresses in Bloodrun Reach and defending their NPCs, taking outposts and artifacts in the Upper Layer, defeating world bosses or completing weekly/daily limited quests (some being PvE, others PvP). The more points the landing acquires, higher its level, and therefore numerous benefits.
These benefits vary from portals to several regions in Balaurea, additional entries and direct entrances to several Archdaeva instances, special functional NPCs and valuable buffs.
Areas[edit | edit source]
Upper Layer[edit | edit source]
- Bloodburn Reach - A cluster of islands located in the center of the upper layer of Reshanta. It consists of Miren Island, Krotan Rock, Kysis Isle and others.
- Eye of Reshanta Entrance - A huge hole in the center of the Bloodburn Reach, the entrance to the Eye of Reshanta.
- Kysis Isle - The island where Kysis Fortress is located. It is in the south of the Bloodburn Reach.
- Miren Island - The island where Miren Fortress is located. It is located in the east of the Bloodburn Reach.
- Krotan Rock - The island where Krotan Refuge is located. It is located in the west of the Bloodburn Reach.
- Ruins of Roah - An island located in the southeast of the upper layer of Reshanta.
- Isle of Silence - An island to the southeast of the Ruins of Roah. It has an artifact called the Tenebrous Cloak.
- Mud Falls - The southern end of the Ruins of Roah. Mudslides are common here.
- Red Hasia Scout Post - The Red Hasia Legion's hidden base on the western end of the Ruins of Roah.
- The Flinders - An island to the southeast of the Ruins of Roah. It has an artifact called Aion's Rebuke.
- Collapsed Ancient Temple - A small island between the Bloodburn Reach and the Ruins of Roah.
- Roah Fortress - The fortress in the Ruins of Roah.
- Garden of the Dead - A number of floating islands to the south of the Ruins of Roah. It is the remains of an ancient garden.
- The Shattered Temple - A number of floating islands to the east of the Garden of the Dead. It is the remains of an ancient temple.
- Garcikhan Stronghold - A number of floating islands to the east of the The Shattered Temple. It is the remains of an ancient fort.
- Lake Asteria - An island at the northeastern end of the upper layer of Reshanta. It retains the verdant grasslands and lakes of old Reshanta.
- Asteria Fortress - The fortress at scenic Lake Asteria. All the Elyos Daevas clamor to be stationed here.
- Clocktower Plain - The northeastern region of Lake Asteria. The plain is dotted with waterfalls.
- Soul Stream - A cluster of small floating islands located between Lake Asteria and the Eastern Shard of Latesran.
- Zephyr Stream - A cluster of small floating islands located between Sword's Edge and Lake Asteria.
- Mirage Cave - The southwestern region of the Bloodburn Reach. It has a cliff that looks like a cave.
- Sword's Edge - An island in the north of the upper layer of Reshanta. Legend has it that a huge sword once wielded by the Balaur Emperor is on the island.
- Dryrock - An island to the south of Sword's Edge. It has a huge altar-like structure made of stone.
- Tigraki Island - An island at the northwestern end of the upper layer of Reshanta. It is the main base of the Tigraki Workshop.
- Black Cloud Island - An island located far to the south of the Bloodburn Reach. It is the main base of the Black Cloud Traders.
Core[edit | edit source]
- Eye of Reshanta - The Aetheric sun at the center of Reshanta. The Divine Fortress can be found there.
- Divine Fortress - The fortress at the Eye of Reshanta, the most strategically significant fortress in the Abyss.
Lower Abyss[edit | edit source]
- Primum Landing - The central Asmodian base in Reshanta, located in the northwestern part of the lower layer.
- Primum Fortress - The fortress at Primum Landing. The Asmodian Governor of Reshanta resides here.
- Primum Plaza - A plaza at Primum Landing. There you can find the Demolition Legion, who are preparing to march, and the Altgard Teleport Device.
- Russet Plaza - Main plaza in Primum Landing. A fortress teleporter is here, as well as a portal to Morheim.
- Primum Training Camp - A training camp at Primum Landing. It is to the north of Primum Fortress.
- Primum Wharf - A port at Primum Landing. It has a supply depot and the Beluslan Teleport Device.
- Nobelium Fragment - A small floating island to the south of Primum Landing. Guardians and administration officers with special missions are stationed on the island.
- Broken Nobelium - A small floating island to the southeast of the Primum Fortress. A Shadow Judge has set up camp here.
- Sulfur Archipelago - A cluster of islands in the northwest of the lower layer of Reshanta. It consists of the Sulfur Fortress, Isle of Roots, Sulfur Flow, Isle of Reproach and others.
- Solitary Island - A small island between Primum Landing and the Sulfur Archipelago.
- Krakon's Dispute - An island in the east of the Sulfur Archipelago. There's a funny story about the name, but this isn't the place to tell it.
- Isle of Roots - An island in the northwest of the Sulfur Archipelago. A dangerous river of sulfur flows across the island.
- Sulfur Flow - The northwestern of the four islands that surround the Sulfur Fortress.
- Sulfur Swamp - The northeastern of the four islands that surround the Sulfur Fortress.
- Isle of Disgrace - The southeastern of the four islands that surround the Sulfur Fortress. It has a prison camp.
- Isle of Reproach - The southwestern of the four islands that surround the Sulfur Fortress.
- Sulfur Fortress - A fortress at the heart of the Sulfur Archipelago. Daevas don't like to be posted here because their gear starts to smell like rotten eggs after a while.
- Southern Ridge - A small island between the Isle of Reproach and the Isle of Disgrace. It has an artifact called the Kerubic Metamorphosis.
- Northern Ridge - A small island between the Sulfur Flow and the Sulfur Swamp. It has an artifact called the Abyssal Aegis.
- Western Ridge - An island between the Sulfur Flow and the Isle of Reproach. It has an artifact called the Tenebrous Cloak.
- Eastern Ridge - A small island between the Sulfur Swamp and the Isle of Disgrace. It has an artifact called the Daevic Efflux.
- Wings of Siel Archipelago - A cluster of islands in the southeast of the lower layer of Reshanta. It consists of Siel's Left Wing and Right Wing, the Grave of Steel, the Twilight Battlefield and others.
- Forsaken Isle - An island located below Siel's Left Wing.
- Grave of Steel - An island located far to the east of the Wings of Siel Archipelago.
- Heart of Siel - An island located in the center of the Wings of Siel Archipelago. It has an artifact called the Abyssal Aegis.
- Island of Exile - An island located below Siel's Right Wing.
- Shade Island - A small island between Teminon Landing and the Wings of Siel Archipelago.
- Siel's Left Wing - The island where Siel's Western Fortress is located.
- Siel's Right Wing - The island where Siel's Eastern Fortress is located.
- Siel's Western Fortress - The fortress located on Siel's Left Wing. Generally an average fortress.
- Twilight Battlefield - An island located far to the west of the Wings of Siel Archipelago.
- Teminon Landing - The central Elysian base in Reshanta, located in the southeastern part of the lower layer.
- Teminon Fortress - The fortress at Teminon Landing. The Governor of Reshanta resides here.
- Teminon Training Camp - A training camp at Teminon Landing. It is to the south of Teminon Fortress.
- Teminon Wharf - A port at Teminon Landing. It has a supply depot and the Verteron Teleport Tower.
- Teminon's Leap - A plaza at Teminon Landing. It has the Heiron Teleport Tower.
- Warehouse Construction Site - A construction site a Teminon Landing. Laborers are working to build a warehouse.
- Weathered Crag - A small floating island to the north of Teminon Landing. Guardians and administration officers with special missions are stationed on the island.
- Latis Plaza - A plaza at Teminon Landing. It has a fortress teleporter and the Eltnen Teleport Tower.
- Sullenscale Rive - An archipelago which formed from ruins which fell from the Upper Layer due to the freezing of Reshanta. It is composed of Pisiform Isle, Capitate Isle, Hamate Isle, Ulna Isle, Triquetral Isle, Scaphoid Isle, Carpus Isle and Lunate Isle.
- Leibo Island - A small island at the center of the lower layer of Reshanta. It is inhabited by Leibos.
Unsorted[edit | edit source]
- Eastern Shard of Latesran - An island in the southwest of Reshanta. It holds a passage that links the upper and lower layers of Reshanta.
- Western Shard of Latesran - An island in the northeast of Reshanta. It holds a passage that links the upper and lower layers of Reshanta.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Reshanta original allowed players to access it by level 25. This changed as of 5.3, as content for that level was scrapped or upped to level 45.
- The map was much larger in extension to what it is today. As of 5.3, islands were moved considerably closer, taking advantage of a lot of unoccupied space.
- As of 5.5, the Bastion of Souls can be seen as a giant floating rock in the Upper Layer's skybox.
- After 4.9, the Core of Reshanta was sealed off, disallowing players from entering and disabling Divine Fortress. It remained this way until 5.8, with a revamp to the whole siege of that fortress.
- Prior to 4.9, the Core catered players of level 50 mostly.